SQL for Smarties | SQL Programming Style | Trees and Hierarchies in SQL | SQL Puzzles and Answers | Data and Databases


Thursday, June 07, 2007

Maximum number of tables (260) exceeded

SQL Apprentice Question
Hi! I receive the referenced message when i run a view I created in SQL2005
in a SQL2000 install of the same database. Basically it is a union query with
about 9 individual select queries. I am sure this has something to do with a
lack of efficiency in my query structure but I am confounded that it runs in
SQL2005 and not in SQL2000. Any suggestions? Thanks in avance for any help
you can offer...



Celko Answers
>> I am confounded that it runs in SQL2005 and not in SQL2000. Any suggestions?

Why not just write better code? Seriously, after all my decades (NOT
years) with SQL, I cannot imagine anything properly designed that
would break the limit.

Remember the human interface part of the first SE course you had
before you were allowed to production data? 5 to 7 levels is all a
human being can maintain. Duh.


Find the moron who nested things this deep and kill him. Then re-
write EVERYTHING he wrote and re-write it. Do a Wikipeida on
"spaghetti code" versus "lasagna code" for some of the issues.




Original Source

No comments: