SQL for Smarties | SQL Programming Style | Trees and Hierarchies in SQL | SQL Puzzles and Answers | Data and Databases


Monday, April 10, 2006

datetime or small datetime field

SQL Apprentice Question
I am having a bit of a problem. I have a date field that is comming from
a different platform as a float. I need to convert these records to
datetime or small datetime. Is their a Stored Procedure to do this in SQL
or what is the quickest way to do this?
Thanks

Celko Answers
>> I have a date field [sic] that is comming from a different platform as a float. <<

You don't know that a column is not anything like a field!

>> I need to convert these records [sic] to datetime or small datetime. <<

You don't know that a row is not anything like a record!

>> Is their a Stored Procedure to do this in SQLor what is the quickest way to do this? <<

You might be able to do a CAST(foobar AS DATETIME). the quickest way
is to keep temporal data in temproal columns.

No comments: