SQL for Smarties | SQL Programming Style | Trees and Hierarchies in SQL | SQL Puzzles and Answers | Data and Databases


Monday, August 14, 2006

SQL Challenge Urgent, Please help

SQL Apprentice Question
Hello Expert,
Here I am asking your help.
I have a table with following data:
TaskID ParentTaskID TaskName ProjectName
1 1 BA Rail
2 22 FA Financial
3 1 BA.1 Rail
4 1 BA.2 Rail
5 22 FA.1 Financial
6 22 FA.2 Financial

Now I want the following format:


ID ParentID Name
1 1 Rail
2 1 BA
3 2 BA.1
4 2 BA.2
5 22 Financial
6 5 FA.1
7 5 FA.2


I need to create following hierarchy if I could tranform the data the
above way in the Project Dimension:
Rail
--BA
----BA.1
----BA.2
Financial
--FA
----FA.1
----FA.2
Please help and thanks in advance


Celko Answers
Get a copy of TREES & HIERARCHIES IN SQL for several different ways to
model this kind of problem.

No comments: